I just recently came across this really unique graduation speech. Even if you’re not writing a graduation speech you can learn from it. It has a mix of humor, wit, and seriousness, fundamental to any great speech. Watch the free youtube video below and following it I’ll make a few points of how you can apply what he does to any speech.
Five things that make this speech great:
1. Unexpected. From serious points to unexpected ones makes for a nice mix of seriousness and humor.
2. The speech is like a roller coaster. Changes of pace, tone, humor, seriousness.
3. References to modern society intertwined relevantly with subject (soldier boy ex.).
4. Nontraditional quote (Ferris Beuler).
5. Use of hand gestures (like an Italian!)
6. Unexpected (instead of usual thanks… my nine year old son!).
I hope that this free speech guide helps you in your speech writing! If not, constructive comments for helping others would be appreciated!